[QuadList] AVR-2 on eBay

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 00:06:14 CDT 2010

Hey Chris,

I forgot one thing, in 1976 that machine was worth 100K$, and the fully loaded monitor bridge, was worth twice the current asking price. It sold for over 10K$, and Ampex was Tektronix's largest single customer, because of the way the bridge was configured.

I was told that broadcasters would not buy a color "slot mask" monitor made from a consumer product (14" Sony Trinatron) in each tape machine. The thing that made it work was the decoder in the monitor, which drove the 602 display, to allow you to "phase up the machine" for playback without a external Vectorscope!

The NTSC pushbutton was required since the colors in the flesh tones were wrong compared to Conrac (dot matrix, USA color based) monitors.

So, in the first year over 80% of the 256 machines we shipped went with the fully loaded bridge worth over 10K$

But, then I had only been involved with broadcast products for a year and a half and really didn't know anything about products for the broadcast marketplace?

Bill Carpenter