[QuadList] AVR-2 on eBay

Steve Spears stevespears at kel.com
Fri Apr 23 04:04:49 CDT 2010

Trevor:

While you're here...I'd like to ask you PAL/NTSC question...but let me tell you and the group the background.

I lived in Japan for two years 65-67 and was able to get a full two day personally guided tour of the brand new (at the time) NHK broadcast center at Tokyo, just after they moved from the old building downtown.

I had an outstanding broadcast engineer guide, and he spoke perfectly good broken english even into deep technical terms.

We we're having lunch in cafeteria and all of sudden he said "NTSC...you know NTSC?...color...very bad...dame (dom-may)...very bad...NTSC.

I responded back that I only knew from growing up that in the early fifties there was something rushed, with our FCC in on it, RCA, CBS and whatever, but that it was rushed, and maybe not well thought out.

I had seen the color banding (moire?) in striped things in picture back when I was learning to do convergence on the RCA CTC-5 TV's when I was a kid.

The NHK fellow closed in on "moire" and something about sub-carrier and stuff.

I finally asked him "Japan adopted that fantastic European train system when they did...so why did they go with the NTSC...instead of the European PAL system? (which at the time I understood does'nt have that moire problem). He gave me a quite serious response, and believe me it was'nt funny, but he said to me we believed that a country like America that had invented the atomic bomb, and atomic power the way we did, that the American color system "must" be vry good and right.

So is'nt (or maybe I should say was'nt...we're all digital now) the PAL system free of the moire problem because of the way it works?

Steve Spears
Orrs Island, Maine