[QuadList] Public Television: A Program for Action, 1967 Carnegie Commission on Educational

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 04:10:03 CDT 2010

Blesseed to have an extra copy  we offer this one to  you...
Cash / Trade?  Sure!
no photo. it is ex  lib - usable totally but not DJ
Public Television: A Program for Action, 1967
254  pages HARDBACK

Carnegie  I

Carnegie Commission on Educational Television,  Public Television: A
Program for Action, 1967
Yep....  this was the definitive report of the era. now hard to find.
here is  some  info... and My Gosh! Look at  the members! What a 'Who's
Who!
Carnegie  Commission on Educational Television,
Summary, 1967
A 15-member commission created in 1965 by a major  foundation, the Carnegie
Corporation of New York, released its report, Public  Television: A Program
for Action, on Jan. 26, 1967, popularizing the phrase  "public television"
and assisting the legislative campaign for federal aid to  the field.
(Public radio was added later by Congress.)
Members of the Commission
James B. Conant, Former President, Harvard University
Lee A.  DuBridge, President, California Institute of Technology
Ralph  Ellison, Author
John S. Hayes, United States Ambassador to  Switzerland
David D. Henry, President, University of  Illinois
Oveta Culp Hobby, Chairman of the Board, Houston Post  Company
J.C. Kellam, President, Texas Broadcasting  Corporation
Edwin H. Land, President, Polaroid  Corporation
Joseph H. McConnell, President, Reynolds Metals  Company
Franklin Patterson, President, Hampshire College
Terry  Sanford, Former Governor of North Carolina
Robert Saudek, Robert  Saudek Associates, Inc.
Rudolph Serkin, Concert Pianist
Leonard  Woodstock, Vice President, United Automobile Workers of America
James  R. Killian, Jr., Chairman [of the Commission and] Chairman of the
Corporation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Preface
This Report of the Carnegie Commission on Educational Television is
addressed  to the American people.
The Commission has been sponsored by the Carnegie Corporation of New York,
and its study financed by that foundation. The Commission was asked to
"conduct  a broadly conceived study of noncommercial television" and to "focus
its  attention principally, although not exclusively, on community-owned
channels and  their services to the general public. . . . The Commission will
recommend lines  along which noncommercial television stations might most
usefully develop during  the years ahead."
It was made clear to the Commission from the outset that within the general
 framework of its charge from the Carnegie Corporation it was free to set
its own  terms of reference and to operate wholly under its own direction.
The Commission  reports, therefore, as an independent group, solely
responsible for its  conclusions and recommendations.
In a letter endorsing the general objectives of the Commission, President
Lyndon B. Johnson wrote: "From our beginnings as a nation we have recognized
 that our security depends upon the enlightenment of our people; that our
freedom  depends on the communication of many ideas through many channels. I
believe that  educational television has an important future in the United
States and  throughout the world. . . . I look forward with great interest to
the judgments  which this Commission will offer."
The stimulus for the formation of the Commission was provided in December
1964 at a conference convened by the National Association of Educational
Broadcasters in cooperation with the United States Office of Education. At
that  conference, Mr. Ralph Lowell of Boston, after discussion with his
associates at  the Lowell Institute Cooperative Broadcasting Council, proposed the
establishment of a commission to study the financial needs of educational
television and the manner in which they might be met; a formal proposal for
the  establishment of such a commission was then drawn up by Mr. Lowell and
Mr. C.  Scott Fletcher of the National Association of Educational
Broadcasters. The  interest of John W. Gardner, then President of the Carnegie
Corporation and now  Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, was immediately
engaged, and his  efforts, together with those of Alan Pifer, then Vice
President and now Acting  President of the Carnegie Corporation, led to the
creation of the  Commission.
Throughout the course of our inquiry we have called upon many persons for
their guidance and help; not once were we refused. No door was closed to the
 Commission's questions. A sense of importance and urgency was expressed by
those  who made contributions to our work. We can only conclude that there
exists a  widespread conviction that the tasks set before the Commission are
widely viewed  as of high priority.
During the year in which the Commission was intensively engaged in its
study,  eight formal meetings of the Commission were held, occupying a total of
twenty-eight days. Smaller groups of Commissioners met from time to time
between  meetings, and consultations between the staff and members of the
Commission were  frequent. A high degree of commitment on the part of all its
members was  apparent to the Commission from the beginning to the end of the
study.
Altogether, more than two hundred and twenty-five individuals and
organizations have expressed themselves to
the Commission, either by appearance before the Commission and its staff or
 in writing. Members of the Commission, its staff, or its correspondents
have  visited, in all, ninety-two educational television stations in
thirty-five  states, as well as the television systems of seven foreign countries.
Those  visits, and in particular the visits conducted within the United
States, have  provided for the Commission a body of information on educational
television  which is unique in both its scope and its quality.
We have conducted statistical surveys with the unstinting cooperation of
all  the educational television stations and state educational television
commissions. We have been assisted by memoranda, articles, and studies from
many  sources, notably the growing literature on educational television.
During the summer of 1966, a conference was held at Endicott House in
Dedham,  Massachusetts, attended by thirty representatives of educational
television,  commercial television, and allied fields. Discussions on manpower,
programming,  financing, and instructional television were conducted by the
conference.
An extensive study of model cost and system structures for educational
television and Public Television was conducted on behalf of the Commission by
Arthur D. Little, Inc., and proved very helpful to the Commission in the
preparation of the cost estimates which will be found in the Report.
Some of the papers prepared for the consideration of the Commission and
which  appear to be of general interest or to have reference value are
presented in the  supplement to this Report. The Commission's own Report, which, in
the final  volume, precedes those papers, expresses views and conclusions
that are  sometimes in accord and sometimes at variance with those of the
authors of the  papers. Our Report is based entirely upon our own judgments and
our own  conclusions, which were often assisted but at no time determined by
material  prepared by others.
Our work has been ably supported at every stage by a devoted staff: Dr.
Hyman  H. Goldin, Executive Secretary; Mr. Stephen White, Assistant to the
Chairman;  Mr. Gregory G. Harney; Mr. Edward Weeks; and Mrs. Joan Cummings
Solomon -- all  have given themselves unsparingly throughout the Commission's
existence. We also  appreciate the assistance of Mrs. Marcia C. Mather, Mrs.
Maxine B. Oldenburg,  Miss Frances Crawford, Miss Jane Sauer, and Miss Ruth
Smith.
Both the Commission and the staff received invaluable assistance and
counsel  from consultants to the Commission. Because of their sustained
participation, we  note with special gratitude the professional services of Professor
Sidney  Alexander, economist; Dr. Mark Harris, author and teacher; Professor
Albert G.  Hill, physicist; Mr. Ernest W. Jennes, legal counsel; Mr. Donald
C. MacLellan,  physicist; and Mr. Charles Theodore, electronics engineer.
In preparing its  Report for publication, the Commission has been assisted
and advised by Mr.  Thomas R. Carskadon, Mr. Osgood Nichols, and Mr. John E.
Woodman, Jr. We also  note with gratitude the assistance of Mr. Arthur
Singer, Executive Associate,  the Carnegie Corporation of New York, who helped
organize the study and served  as its liaison with the Carnegie Corporation.
A complete listing of all persons and organizations that have contributed
to  the preparation of this Report will be found elsewhere in these pages. To
all of  them we express our deep indebtedness.
Upon his full-time assumption of the presidency of Hampshire College on
June  1, 1966, Dr. Franklin Patterson relinquished his duties as Staff
Director, but  fortunately has continued as a member of the Commission. His
responsibilities as  Director were assumed by Dr. Goldin.
Mr. John S. Hayes resigned as a member of the Commission on October 1,
1966,  after his appointment as Ambassador to Switzerland. His participation was
 extremely valuable. He was with the Commission long enough to have helped
shape  its principal conclusions and recommendations. We are happy that he
joins all  the other Commissioners in signing this Report.
The members of the Commission count it a privilege to have shared in this
study.

JAMES B. CONANT
EDWIN H. LAND
LEE A. DUBRIDGE