[QuadList] Tape without CT

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Tue Aug 3 10:03:50 CDT 2010

In regard to 2" quad, if there is no control track, auto tracking will
do no good. Auto tracking will (as Bill said) dither the capstan speed
and the machine will gradually slew to the proper, max. RF. This is
necessary if there are improperly edited segments where CT phase is
not matched, whether they are electronic edits or physical splices.

If there is no control track, only the AVR-1 has a chance of coming up
to the correct capstan speed and phase to maximize RF very quickly.

The AVR-1 can re-write CT also.

There was an Ed Sullivan show with an interview with Fidel Castro a
few years ago where there was zero CT! I was able to get the machine
to settle down and transfer that tape. But the AVR-1 has to be setup
by the book so that the "CT Inhibit" feature works correctly.

Ampex appeared to always put an emphasis on CT monitoring, having
incorporated several test positions to monitor the CT signal on the A
scope (VR-2000), even keeping a full time dedicated meter on the upper
panel. Hence, we always treated the A scope with respect, making
modifications to keep it cool all the time (dedicated muffin fan). I
think that was one of the most difficult things to fix on the 2K.

David Crosthwait