[QuadList] Early Quad Color--"Saving Cyd Charisse" gets a secondlook at AMIA's The Reel Thing, this Saturday.

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Wed Aug 11 01:31:18 CDT 2010

Hi, Dale,

I don't think it's anything warped.  I'd agree that there is a certain
"gosh" factor to TK-41 stuff I've seen from network shows.

David and long-time Sr. video engineer/camera collector Chuck Pharis
could comment more from the experience of working with and viewing the
output of the cameras directly.

I'd think it's partly the 3" IO's.

One could liken the larger tubes in the TK-41 to medium format (120,
220, 6x6mm) still film compared to smaller 35mm still film... and its
electronic counterparts would be the 1.25", 1" and 2/3" Vidicons,
Plumbicons and Saticons in later cameras.

Continuing that analogy, film emulsions have different reactions to
light and color.  I think part of the magic might be how the tubes'
reacted to light in an electrophotochemical way. The tube design and
photosensitive material... and size contribute to the "look."

Other more easily observed factors are the care with which the cameras
were set up by NBC engineers, coupled with the lighting and staging in
front of the camera.

It would be interesting to compare how local stations TK-41 video
looked compared to the networks' TK-41 pictures.

As for the algorithm:  TK-41 look applied to some HD material?  I'd
think there'd be a "halo" button in the software controls and a slider
to address halo intensity and width.

Ted