[QuadList] Simulating vintage camera looks

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Fri Aug 13 05:59:26 CDT 2010

  That is great stuff, Scott!  Very nice.....
Back in the early '80s when I had my production studio, we were doing a
car spot for a local dealer.
They wanted to open with a scene with an early '50s Ford, since that's
when the dealership opened, and wanted it to look "period", as much as
possible.
I had experimented with a few things along these lines before, but put
them all together in this one.  We shot the scene with the studio
Marconi Mk VII, then shot that video off of an old 14" B/W Conrac
monitor that I had in the shop that had a soft CRT which added some nice
"blooming" effects, ran that video through an NEC E-Flex and gave it a
slight up and down/side to side gate weave and keyed some scratched
clear film leader over all that.  This was way before the "old film
effect" was seen so much.
The result was a fairly convincing  approximation of a bad kinescope.  A
lot of fun to do back then.  I still have it on 3/4" around here somewhere.
Guy

--
Guy Spiller
email: quadruplex at verizon.net