[QuadList] Early Quad Color--"AMIA's The Reel Thing" Sessions were videotaped.

Gary Adams garyada at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 16 09:34:09 CDT 2010

Michael Friend of Sony edits the material and keeps it for the permanent
record.  I have been volunteering shooting the presenters and audience.  I
know the power points and screen images are recorded as well but I don't
think they will be widely available due to copyrights and such.  There
really is some great information that probably will be available at some
point.

It was interesting all the Carson Tonight Shows starting about the 1" days
are all digitally on line as a commercial venture.  I think the tapes were
in various formats and maybe mostly Betacam SP.  The complete shows were
ingested with exact text from the dialog which is quickly searchable.
Access to this database is controlled and is primarily used  to sell clips
and segments for commercial purposes.  They demonstrated live off the web
how the search engine worked.  They had the audience offer some key words
which worked really nice.  I didn't want to speak from my position, but I
would have offered keywords like "Ed Ames" and "Hatchet".  This is not news
to anyone but when they were asked about the Quad tapes, they pointed out
the tape was reused often to keep the costs down so only special segments
were saved by Carson during that era. But I know members in this group are
much more knowledgeable about this.

I am interested in what most of you think about the possibility of
non-contact recovery of Quad information.  Just how difficult will this be?

Gary