[QuadList] Happy Anniversary--CBS Uses Quad to Time Zone DelayDouglas Edwards' Evening Newscast

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 08:39:21 CST 2010

		On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Ted Langdell wrote:

< Back in '68, they had what I want to recall as a TK-11 set up in
what was off of/near/in a hallway like area that allowed visitors to
see themselves on an adjacent monitor.  The hallway allowed people to
look into several studios from above the lighting grid.

		I say:

	The 4th floor once had that arrangement.  Here are 2 photos of
control room windows that overlooked a 3rd floor studio:
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/5226532754/>
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/5226532504/>

		Ted also sed:

 > One of the studios was Jeopardy, and the other had a soap opera.
The tour also included the Tonight Show studio. Which appeared smaller
than it did on TV, and the steps in the audience area seemed to have a
rather tall rise.   Interesting to see it then, and then again in
February.

		I offer:

	Here's what Studio 6B looked like during demolition of the WNBC-TV
news set, in preparation for "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon":
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3151530323/>
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3151531791/>
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3152367680/>
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/3151535545/>

> 		I said:
>
> 	The 5th floor is especially different, as is the 2nd.  The
> existence of radio has been erased from memory.

		Ted added:

 > Had a little fun with a tour group when Dennis was showing me
around.  We were in an elevator lobby on the ___?  floor and I
mentioned that the glassed in area right behind us was the NBC Monitor
(radio) control area.  The pages didn't know that.

		I say:

	That was the 5th floor; the floor where I now work.  The studio
elevators opened in view of "Radio Central", where Monitor was
produced. Here's what it looks like now:
			<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/>
	and this is what it looked like back then:
			<http://www.monitorbeacon.net/radiocentral.html>
	BTW, this is a terrific website showing the history of NBC's Monitor
program:
			<http://www.monitorbeacon.net/history.html>

	  					NBC Today Show, New York