[QuadList] Mechanical Splices

Chuck Reti cwreti at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 11:09:00 CST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 11:16 AM, george keller <georgenann at aol.com> wrote:

> I have found that making audio edits especially with continuous music is almost impossible to do without any sort of "Tweet" or "Chirp" even with the AF audio edit mod installed.  After an evening of screwing around with one session, I convinced the director to lay down the complete audio track and then insert video as needed.  That worked fine.  I think it was an older CMX 340?? You can fool your eyes, but not your ears.

Depending on the type of music, doing video-only inserts could be troublesome.
As I recall, during a video insert, the heads recorded across the full width of the tape, and relatively quiet passages could sometimes be heard with a bit of 960Hz buzz in the background.
Didn't some machines later on switch video record off on each head as it passed over the longitudinal audio track to eliminate this?

Chuck Reti
Detroit MI
WV8A