[QuadList] Mechanical Splices

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 2 14:07:18 CST 2010

		On Dec 2, 2010, at 10:38 AM, george keller wrote:

 > The stuff was called "Ediview" solution, it was a real fine iron
oxide mixed in "Freon TF". It worked fine. You just squirted some on
the tape, blow on it for a moment and you could see the  "Edit" pulses
on the tape. The splicers had a small microscope on it to make it
easier to see them. They weren't doing many splice edits by the time I
got there, but the splicer used was made by the CBS machine shop, it
didn't do any "L" type splices.  Most of the edits I saw done and
later on old 2"tapes was mostly video only splices.

		I offer:

	Not easy to see but this was the only time I ever saw mechanical quad
tape editing with my own eyes, at the CBS Broadcast Center in NY in
1978.
	I was told that the editor was cutting "Captain Kangaroo":
				<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/515337618/>

	  					NBC Today Show, New York