[QuadList] Training the Third Generation

george keller georgenann at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 14:14:34 CST 2010

RGR THAT,

If the head was not turning, no tape or anything, all you would have to do it poke the head with your finger, it would rotate a bit, then "Settle" and rock a bit in the position where the coil for that phase had the bum transistor. This would give you a clue that you are headed for trouble.  Otherwise the head would lock up, apparently in it's normal fashion and nobody would know the difference, but when the next one goes you have trouble, I think, I never let it go more than one xsistor. I never had a head not start due to this problem, must have had more than one bad transistor. It could have been a "Leaky" xsistor, not putting the full force field on that phase of the head, in which case it is also a good idea to replace the xsistor.

I don't know why this happened, never saw anything from Ampex on it.

Now that I think about it, I don't seem to remember where the MDA was located, I don't think it was on one of the large boards in the main chassis.  I do remember having this problem the night before taping the "Hurricane Carter" fight at Rahway State Prison in NJ and had to go all the way back to CBS to get parts, and perhaps the whole MDA since it was late and we were in the middle of the prison yard and all I wanted to do was to get out of there.

This has shown up many times, but nobody seemed to notice but me.

Another problem which I remember is sometimes signals would not show up on some of the boards due to open "Yellow - I think" small choke coils at the input contacts to the boards.  I had one drive me nuts for a couple days.

I don't think it would take much trainning to learn to operate an AVR-2, it is quite simple.

George Keller