[QuadList] Picture of the day (link to)---and who's in it?

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 23:16:56 CST 2010

 Hi Ted & Everybody,

Yes, that was me in 1974, in the Sunnyvale Plant, where we built the first run
of AVR-2's.

With me is Tom Hasty, who was Plant Mgr, and 8 years later, he was the product
manager who introduced the VPR-5, at IBC, in Brighton, England. That's when I
introduced the Finest Helical Scan VTR, the VPR-3

In answer to the speculation of why the AVR-2's have the greatest survival rate,
it was the last, Hi Performance, yet simple Quad. And it also had the best video
head life (no guide servo) since you could leave the guide in one position and
let the TBC and the AutoChroma do their jobs. This greatly improved the head
life and tape life. Also it was more reliable due to less connectors and single
board subsystems.

Bye for now, Bill Carpenter ( I was the product manager who introduced the
AVR-2, in 1974, at NAB in Huston)