[QuadList] Picture of the day (link to)---and who's in it?

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 20:08:03 CST 2010

Hi Don, and everybody!

I remember that we shipped 256 AVR-2's in the first year. That was from April
1974 till NAB 1975. I remember a wall that looked like Monitor's, with call
letters & logo's where the tally were located. I made a hit with our
Photographers, sent them all over, and made a lot of large 20" 3x4 monitor sized
back lit transparences. So, this was the wall facing out of the Booth in Vegas
(1975) with entrances on each side. Most of the pictures were taken with the
C.E. standing in the Tape Room with each hand on a machine, and color pictures
on the Tekronic monitors in the bridge. Bob Sidenglanz was in the one taken at
Compact Video. The logo @ one station was the big neon sign on the roof taken at
night.

So, my memories related to a build rate of about 30 a month or 360 per year. I
turned the AVR-2 over to somebody else in 1976, when the AVR-3 was dumped on me
to clean up!

I had the largest retrofit in the history on Ampex. The machines could not
playback tapes with segments, since the Autotracking, set proper tracking and
turned off, eliminating the "dither". The  TBC with bad ground loops also needed
work. And there were some record problems also. I had over 60 units, usually in
3's all over Hollywood, that I had to rework in a hurry.

So, in summary, 4 years could very easily equal 1200+ AVR-2's, and somehow the
1800 units seems like the total number taht I remember. I can't even remember
who was the last Product Manager.

We built the 1200's at about 15-20 a month in 1973. They were much harder to
build and test.

And with all that work, the AVR-2's made better pictures with less efforts by
the operators.
The unions did not like eliminating block of time before playback, to set-up the
Intersync.
The operators who stacked small reels on the flat deck and  played many
commercials back to back with two machines loved the AVR-2's.

Maybe if we found who has the highest serial numbered AVR-2, then I will try to
remember how I set up the serial number sequence?

That's all for now, Bill Carpenter