[QuadList] Picture of the day (link to)---and who's in it?

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 16:44:39 CST 2010

Hi Randy and everybody,

Yes, the pre-Olympic centers were great.
The one for Sarajevo was over near the west side highway and they set-up two or
three control areas, a graphics area, and 15 three machine edit suites.

I was there when we delivered the first three VPR-3's and checked out the first
edit suite. I took a picture of Charlie & Dave Bargen (he built the editor that
Charlie wanted!) with the editor, and the VPR-3's in the background.

I took it with my pocket camera, an Olympus OM-2 which was always in my
briefcase. Charlie asked for some prints, to send to his mother in Austin. I
sent him the prints and he thanked me, and then I was surprised at the next NAB,
to see my picture was the cover shot for Dave's New Editor Brochure.

The best was the pre-view they gave to some of the NY Tech magazine folks.
In the article afterward, they wrote a major note about all the plastic garbage
cans stuffed with cables that were all over the place which they did not
understand.
Charlie then wrote a counter article relating that they saw the center as a
temporary test site on one floor, and in Sarajevo it  was to be spread over 6
floors of a brand new parking garage and the cables in the garbage cans allowed
connections between all floors through a central stairway that was closed and
became a cable chase.

Bye for now, Bill