[QuadList] Blanking Issues and Type C heads

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 09:26:07 CST 2010

The confidence mode was when the AST or DT head was used during record for
playback.  It was moveable enough to go to the track that was just laid
down about a third of a diameter away.  I always thought it was a great  trick
that was an easy thing to implement.

The VHO or RCO that was done on the quad was another trick that took some
thinking to come up with.  I respect the guys that thought of these ideas
for a format that was almost 20 years old and never was more than a record
and  playback device.  It shows the creativity that existed at both Ampex and
RCA.

The one inch format was one of the last SMPTE standards that were specific
to the mechanical dimensions.  Future specifications were set to what must
be on the tape.  This allowed the designer to implement various ways to
achieve the same results.

Chris