[QuadList] betacam

Gideon4 gideon4 at summershome.co.uk
Mon Feb 1 06:19:01 CST 2010

I think Hawkeye came first, I have the date for the Hawkeye HC-1 as
c.1979-80. In retrospect, it's very tricky to say who was first with
something, "marketing" have a habit of promoting the camera before it is
actually ready to be sold!

The best place to date things is in the NAB/IBC reports for the period.

In Europe there was the Bosch Quarter Cam, in retrospect not successful, but
an interesting attempt. It probably came after the RCA Hawkeye.

Brian Summers
UK member

  David

  I think he falsely claims that the Betacam was "The first one-piece camera
and recorder ever made). I believe Panasonic's M-Format "Recam" beat them.

  I think it went M or was that Hawkeye

  Betacam

  M2

  Beta SP

  M2 and SP were very close

  and release dates may have been different in the UK

  TrevorB

  UK Member