[QuadList] OT: Broadcast Camcorders--which came first (and a few other things) was Re: betacam-)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Feb 1 08:42:52 CST 2010

Searching online since I'm not traveling with my hard copy of "The
History of Television, 1942-2000" by Albert Abramson... we find on
Page 195 that:

The RCA Hawkeye  (HC-1) three Plumbicon camera-VTR was shown at the
Radio-Television News Driector's Association (RTNDA)  in New Orleans,
Sept. 10-12, 1981.

Page 196 of the same book reports that Sony showed a prototype Betacam
at the 1982 NAB, using a single high-band SMF Trinicon tube.

Abramson reports that RCA showed the Hawkeye at the 1982 NAB,

Ikegami added an M-format recorder to the side of an HL-83.

Bosch showed a KBF-1 camcorder with three half-inch Plumbicons and a
quarter-inch cassette deck using the Lineplex format.

Other things of note:

At NAB 1981, the 25th anniversary of Quad was celebrated.

Ampex claimed it had sold more than half the broadcast video recorders
used world-wide, delivered its 2000th VPR-2B and sold its 3,000th
VPR-2B.   It showed the VPR-80 for $34,900, without TBC.

Sony showed the BVH-2000 at around $39,000 without TBC.

Bosch-Fernseh brought the BCN-21 portable and BCN-51 studio
recorders.  The early BCN's were also marketed by IVC (International
Video Corp.) as the IVC 8000 series machines.

IVC had been taken over by Cezar International in 1981.  It showed the
"IVC-1."  And the rest of the detail is on page 197, which is not in
the on-line preview.  Can't tell you more since I don't have my hard-
copy with me.

(An IVC 1070 "Chromacon 10" is mentioned on page 105 of Charles
Bensinger's  1981 "The Video Guide", found online at:
http://videopreservation.conservation-us.org/vid_guide/9/9.html)

Abramson says that at the 1982 NAB, 3M demoed the new TT-8000 3M/NEC
Type C recorder that featured color playback without a TBC and met new
FCC Part 15 EMA rules that would take effect in Oct. 1982.

3M mentioned that more than 14,000 Quad machines had been sold during
the 25 years since Ampex pressed record and then play on the Mark IV
in Chicago.

Abramson reports that a "highlight reel" was shown of memorable events
that had been recorded on tape including the Nixon/Khrushchev debate,
Kennedy inauguration and assassination aftermath, Apollo moon landing
and the US Hockey Team's Olympic victory.

Wonder where that tape is, and how many generations down the various
segments were.

Have a good morning...