[QuadList] Video Tape Baking

John Walko jwalko at scenesavers.com
Mon Feb 1 08:55:02 CST 2010

Chris:

You'll probably get different answers talking to different people.

We've found that longer (to a certain extent) is better.especially for
larger (i.e. Quad) formats.  We typically process for as much as 36
hours.but I've heard others using shorter times.  I spoke to an audio
engineer who "bakes" audio tapes and he only processes them for 4 hours.

A couple of notes.baking is not done as a matter of course.  Other solutions
are attempted first, such as cleaning and storing in a cool, dry environment
for an extended period (maybe 2 or more weeks).  The idea is to remove as
much as the humidity/moisture from the tape without over drying it (a
certain amount of moisture is required in the tape for it to be playable.for
the lubricant in the tape to work, etc.).  As a side note.there is another
thread going on another list server that is discussing freezing magnetic
media.  I've not read these too closely, but from what I understand,
magnetic media should never, ever be frozen.  I think the IPI may have even
done a study about this and found that tapes that were frozen couldn't be
recovered.I'll have to see if I can find that article (I may be remembering
this wrong.).

Regarding ovens.I've heard of people home building solutions using Coleman
coolers, a 100 watt light bulb and a thermostat.  The person who built this
told me he is able to maintain a steady temperature within 3 degrees.  Any
industrial oven capable of holding a steady, low temperature would work.but,
it must be capable of relatively low temperatures.in the 115-130 degree
range.standard ovens, as previously mentioned, won't work.

John Walko

Media Archive Manager

Scene Savers

www.scenesavers.com