[QuadList] Video Tape Baking

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 1 08:57:56 CST 2010

Hi Chris:

There are several different schools of thought on exactly what causes the SSS (Sticky Shed Syndrome).  Before 3M exited the tape business, they did quite a bit of research as to the cause and the cure.  In the files, I have several lengthy documents regarding their findings.  Simply, their conclusion was that the problem was not actually caused by moisture, but was a chemical breakdown, and the proper treatment with heat restored the binder to its former state.  Ampex reached similar conclusions, at least as to the cure.

Whatever the exact cause of the SSS, the "baking" approach works in almost all cases.  I'm not going to offer a "recipe", but I can share several general observations.  I've heard comments about the very temporary nature of this cure.  My personal experience indicates that the process was not done properly if the stickiness returns quickly.  When done correctly, the restored tape remains in good condition for years, not days.  The proper approach requires a good bit of time, and if rushed, will not be satisfactory.  In about 5 years of doing this, I've had two tapes (one 1" & one 2") that did not respond to the treatment.

Don