[QuadList] DVE use to meet blanking specs: (was Quad Vs Type C)

alespn at att.net alespn at att.net
Mon Feb 1 10:48:19 CST 2010

You are correct.  I remember Kim Friedman (and Chaka Kahn).  I was the editor on it.

When we did a digital effect, we'd take the A-D cards and hold them to the air conditioner vent.  When the tapes all recued, the tape op would jam all the cards back in their slots so we could do the effect before they overheated and burped the video.  Engineering excellence at its finest!
-------------- Original message from dcfwtx at aol.com: --------------

Al,

I toured your facility around 1980 (?) with music video producer Kim Friedman. I think he was doing a Chaka Kawn (?) post there. I'll never forget seeing the Squeeze Zoom in action, and the roar of fans to keep it cool, if I remember correctly. I was working for NBC at the time and we only had MKII DVE's and some Quantel 5000's.

I presume this is the same MVS that had the TK 45 truck I worked in also once for a live to network drama out of Dallas (The Oldest Living Graduate).  Wayne Parsons was the TD.

David Crosthwait
DC Video