[QuadList] ACR-225 (was 1" Machine glue)

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 3 06:14:38 CST 2010

		On Feb 2, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Trevor Brown wrote:

 > Needed a standalone TBC so it would not get upset when it switched
decks, But RCA did not have one and they would have gone out of
business rather
than fit a brand X TBC  Oh sorry they did go out of business

		I say:

	But not because of the TCR-100.  They sold a crap-load of them.  And
stations made a lot of money using them.
	I sorta disagree with you about their needing a standalone TBC.  This
was still a quad machine and quad's timebase errors were quite
different from the errors corrected by standalone TBCs of the time.
Nearly every one of those standalone TBCs were made for helical VTRs
which had slower-changing and larger-deviation timing errors.  It made
sense for RCA to use what they had in use on TR-60's and TR-70's of the
era.  Those systems actually worked quite well.
	TCR-100 did have one marketing advantage over ACR-25 which made it
desirable in many smaller markets:  The machine could share its signal
system and error correction system with a co-located TR-60.  This saved
the stations a lot of money.  Though I never worked with one of these
versions of the machine, I could see how this feature would make TCR
popular with station owners (and probably ONLY with station owners).

	  					NBC Today Show, New York