[QuadList] Co-Located TCR-100 (Was ACR-225 (was 1" Machine glue))

kylebook at aol.com kylebook at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 15:55:03 CST 2010

Dennis Degan wrote:

"TCR-100 did have one marketing advantage over ACR-25 which made it desirable in many smaller markets: The machine could share its signal system and error correction system with a co-located TR-60. This saved the stations a lot of money. Though I never worked with one of these versions of the machine, I could see how this feature would make TCR popular with station owners (and probably ONLY with station owners). "

This feature was appreciated by us tape ops who worked the sign-off shift, and thus were given a pile of 2" spot reels to dub to TCR carts, for the next day's shift, before leaving for the night.  Much higher quality picture, and quicker setup, with few errors and no banding than if the spot was dubbed off a standalone RCA or Ampex quad. This meant getting thru the pile quicker, and getting home to bed sooner or the bar before closing time when we signed off early on Sunday night.  WGGB in Springfield, MA had this exact setup when I worked there 25 years ago.

- Kyle Bookholz

Send QuadList list posts to QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com