[QuadList] TCR-100

rabruner at aol.com rabruner at aol.com
Thu Feb 4 08:51:18 CST 2010

The biggest failure we had in the tractor was in the roll pins that held the bevel gear to the motor shaft.  These would shear off with an interesting effect.  We tried to keep the belt full so that it was not unbalanced.  That way you didn't have gravity yanking on that pin when the weight of the carts was off to one end or the other.  RCA came up with a number of mods addressing that issue, the last one of which was effective.  The other problem we had with the belt was in the very early days of the machine.  The belt knew where it was by a system of lights shining through holes in a metal plate ina bcd pattern.  That was the same technique they used to tell the belt which bin it was in front of and when it was there.  Initially, they used 24V lamps for light sources.  They went through several different ones trying to find some that were immortal, but not so. RCA finally came out with an LED kit that solved most of those problems.  The lamps were used inside on the transport to tell where the threader arms, were etc., It was a tremendous improvement in the reliability of the machine when those LEDs were put in.  The other advance they made over time was eliminating a number of the micro switches that told the logic where various devices were in their cycle. Carriage in/Carriage out, arms, up, arms down, cart in the bin in front of the transport yes/no? has a cart been loaded out of the bin? etc.  These micro switches really got beat up and RCA decided they could do without so much information.  There was third party guy who developed a box many people added to their TCRs to monitor these switches so when one failed, you could save time getting to it.
  When I worked at WGN, they had three TCRs, two for air play and one for make-up.  The make-up machine had an editor and there was a busy session everyday editing promos using that feature. The crew got so proficient at dealing with its eccentricities that they could crank out a huge volume of stuff in one shift.  Their machines also had the EFIS and the random access.  There was a yellow line painted on the floor beyond which you were not to intrude when the machine was loaded because there was a light sensor that told the machine someone had changed a tape on the belt. It would dump the transports and go into, I think it was called, ALS mode, to re-read all the barcodes on the belt to find out what spots were where.
  There were a lot of updates for the machine and the difference between the shop order 2 machine and the shop order 10 was tremendous.

Bob Bruner W9TAJ

Engineer In Charge

Maintenance and Design

WTTW/Chicago