[QuadList] Blanking Issues

C. Park Seward park at videopark.com
Sat Feb 6 11:47:18 CST 2010

I saw billions of tapes with visible head switching on-air. As you all know, that was spec for the "industrial" 3/4" VTRs. Since it was actual video, wouldn't it be permissible?

The broadcast BVU machines had head switching in the vertical interval which was of course blanked by the TBC.

I guess the industrial machines did not have stable enough servo circuits to risk placing the switch in the VI. However, I did adjust some industrial machines to lower the switch and it worked fine.

Didn't some of the early Ampex 1" VTRs have the switch in visible picture but the 660 series had it lower???

Of course Quad had the switch every 16 lines!

Best,
Park

C. Park Seward
Visit us: http://www.videopark.com