[QuadList] Blanking Issues

Trevor Brown videovault at sky.com
Sun Feb 7 05:30:54 CST 2010

I think you need to separate politics from engineering

C format came from a committee on which Ampex and Sony both had seats

Ampex were already up and running with a very nice helical and so had a
market lead

Sony insisted sync heads to record the missing part of the picture

Once these heads became spec even if you did not want to record blank lines,
you had to fit dummy heads to maintain interchange

Sony always insisted it was for non TBC machines so you could fill the
missing band with tape info

The fact that it was recorded at the other side of the drum where the
tension is different and so could not be used with processing seemed to be
overlooked

And Ampex had to redesign the scanner and loose there market lead

Apologies to any Sony people, but dummy heads or sync head was politics not
engineering

Trevor

UK member