[QuadList] Blanking Issues

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 14:56:34 CST 2010

Yes, Park,

Everything that has been stated before, by everyone is correct, the "C" format was based on the moving head technology, which changed the dropout position as a result of the greater interchange stability of the format. We added the "sync" head as an option, to make our machine the same as Sony.
I was not part of the "C" format related effort, since I had be given the AVR-3, the last quad, and the largest retrofit program in Ampex's history. It was developed to be a great machine, but had a product manager who didn't understand engineering and was also more interested in the editing system we were working with a Canadian Company, Central Dynamics Limited.
My first "C" format product was the VPR-20, with was the VPR-10, which did not get to market, revised to "C" format. It was a very good, but heavy "porterable"( my word, which meant, give somebody $5-$10 and let them carry the 50lb unit)

Bill Carpenter