[QuadList] Blanking Issues

Dale Lamm dlamm1 at neo.rr.com
Mon Feb 8 21:47:54 CST 2010

[snip]

Talking about Type-C for a moment; I can't remember if it was Sony or Ampex (or both?), but they had a separate "sync" head on the scanner. I'm assuming that was to have a clean sync pulse on the head switch? A problem obviated by a TBC?

[end]

I'm likely dead wrong on the helical head drums with extra heads, but....

Vaguely remember some marketing info about a "confidence head" that allowed you to play back a recording as it was being made, to detect head clogs. The record and play heads scanned the same track, just several hundred microseconds apart from one another. Head clogs must have been a real issue with early one-inch.