[QuadList] Blanking Issues

Tony Quinn tony at tqvideo.co.uk
Sun Feb 7 15:57:03 CST 2010

In message
<F0980110198A0D47AA3ED9D26017D3B40DD4F7E60A at EX3.ACDM.DS.SAIT.CA>, Wayne
Watson <wayne.watson at sait.ca> writes
>It was in the SMPTE standard. Ampex made it an option and Sony made it
>standard. The concern was that something in the future might need the
>V.I. However in type C only lines 4 to 14 were missing so VITC and VITS
>were still there. I think there was also an issue where Sony did not
>want tp pay re a patent Ampex had on control track update (or something
>like that)and needed the V.I. to do it their way. Can anyone shed more
>light on that?

Surely part of it was Sony's decision to go with a one piece upper drum
assembly compared to Ampex's separate heads approach. It'd be easier to
manufacture a single part for all machines, and that single part would
require all options in it.
--
If one person has delusions, we call them psychotic. If, however, 1.5 billion
people have delusions we must apparently call them a religious group, and