[QuadList] was Helicals, Quads, now Marconi cameras

David C. Crosthwait david at dcvideo.com
Tue Feb 9 23:06:19 CST 2010

Guy,

KQED was a user of that MkVII, having received them in 1968. They
replaced other Marconi 4 1/2" IO black and whites. At that time, KQED
was heavily into the San Francisco music scene, with many artists
using their facilities. Janis Joplin, Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead,
It's a Beautiful Day etc. I transferred all of the above named shows
years ago from 2" HBC. The cameras always had a different look than
the others of the day (the 44 was not out till late '68.) They
certainly looked better than the 42, and in some ways looked better
than the PE 350, depending on who's facility had them (the GE's). It
did look like they were pouring a lot of light on the KQED material.
Must have made for some hot times in the studio.

If you kept the optical path clean and used the CBS image enhancers in
the luminance channel correctly, the GE 350's could look spectacular,
as they did at WFAA.

David