[QuadList] was Helical, Quads, now Marconi cameras

Guy Spiller quadruplex at verizon.net
Wed Feb 10 05:47:09 CST 2010

Hi Trevor,
I sure have first hand knowledge about the tantalum cap problems in
these things.  Even when relatively new, their failure rate was
spectacular.
I remember one particular one, in one of the post amps in the head, that
would go shorted when the camera was tilted down below about 30
degrees...above that, it was fine.  I used these things on location for
football and such, and things like that made me crazy.  Luckily, by the
time I was doing a lot of work with them, I had acquired a bunch of
parts cameras for spares.
Every once in a while, when I think it would be fun to get one of these
up and running again, I'm reminded just how many caps I would have to
change at this point.  So, at least for the foreseeable future, they
will remain "static displays".
I never got to see an EMI camera in person unfortunately, as I don't
think many, if any, made it over here.  As David mentioned, several of
the large market PBS stations were big users of MkVIIs.  Along with
KQED, WGBH in Boston and I seem to remember that WNET in New York had
them for a while.  The original Sesame Street programs were done with
MkVIIs at Reeves Teletape, as well as the David Frost show.  I ended up
with a couple of cameras from there as well.
Congratulations to your colleague who has that one up and running....he
must have lots of patience!
Guy

--
Guy Spiller