[QuadList] [Quad List] Helical, Quads

Trevor Brown videovault at sky.com
Wed Feb 10 05:25:37 CST 2010

The MKV11 belongs to my colleague

The VAC's never worked from new and were always in bits (delay line
problems)

If you opened the CCU front panel you ran the risk of breaking swan neck
wiring
Lost count of the number of times we had to edit shows recorded as live
for tant capacitors problems on the MKV11 camera's

When I was in broadcast we had two full sized studio's one with EMI 2001
camera's for making programs
and one with Marconi MKV11 which was more often out of service than in
service

Marconi thought up the four tube Plumbicon camera, EMI just made better kit
IMO

G101 was the camera cable, in use

TrevorB
UK Member

Hi Guy

With apologies to Trevor,

The 3U unit below the encoder in the Marconi MkVII rack is the Marconi
designed aperture corrector, all 3U of it. It is rare to see one working as,
with the passage of time, the delay line are unreliable, and there are no
spares!

Pleased to see you have a pair of MkVIIs, I would be interested to know the
serial numbers and if the are Marconi badged or Ampex ones ( Ampex were
supposed to market the camera for Marconi??) Have your cameras got the G101
cable connector? or were the adapted to use the more common (in the USA)
TV81 cable.

I have a MkVII in the collection, It is not in very good condition, due to
poor storage,  and may never work again.
http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/marconi/mk7/m_mkvii1.htm

Regards

Brian Summers
UK Member

Hi Trevor,
Great pictures! That looks like a very nice 70B indeed.
Those things are fun to move, aren't they? :) Looks like you had the
original wheeled dollies though.
I also have a couple of Marconi MkVII chains, but I don't recognize that
unit that's mounted right below the encoder...what is that?
Guy

Trevor Brown wrote:

> The TR70 made it to IBC around 1995, a little late

oup.com

Send QuadList list posts to QuadList at quadvideotapegroup.com