[QuadList] Helicals, Quads

Dennis Degan DennyD1 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 11 17:46:35 CST 2010

		On Feb 11, 2010, at 9:41 AM, <bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv> wrote:

 > Thanks Dennis for the much more elegant explanation.  I knew I was
upside down when I sent the post, but figured since analog tv is gone
it wouldn't matter any more! (See how quick I forgot!)

		I sigh:

	You're right; it doesn't matter any more.  But that's all I got: a
head full of useless old information.  All I can do now is use it to
win bar bets: "Hey, did you know that we used to transmit video upside
down?  I can prove it!"

		Bill also said:

 > Also, chroma can be over peak white and yellow is the worst offender,
so whenever the FCC wanted to gig a public station they only had to
check
the listings to see when Sesame Street was on and the first appearance
of Big Bird would buzz like crazy.

		I add:

	Yes, we tried to limit the yellow bird as best as we could.  It wasn't
easy.

		Bill:

 > Grass came out with a mod for the old 900 series proc amp that would
clip that stuff so the transmitter didn't buzz, but the recordings were
quite often overdeviated on the high chroma.  And it was the chroma
comp circuits in the RCA TK-44 that allowed that boost to be there.

		I say:

	It's been 28 years since I worked on that show.  I thought the
ChromaComp board allowed control of the color and helped to PREVENT
oversaturation of the yellow, NOT to allow the boost to be there.  We'd
use the video scope to see if the modulated yellow of the bird was
going too high and to correct it, we'd cut back the yellow saturation a
bit.  We didn't want to iris down the whole scene so we'd limit the
yellow saturation instead.  It seemed to be a satisfactory compromise.
	I vaguely remember the GV 900 procamp.  I think it had both a hard
clip that simply chopped off the top, and a 'soft' clip that rounded
the chroma peaks.  The hard clip could cause as many problems as it
solved but the 'soft' clip (which is what I think you are referring to,
Bill) worked wonders.

		Bill also remembered:

 > I miss Teacher's Deli across from the 81st St. studio!

		I say:

	 I used to eat lunch at Teacher's pretty often when I worked on the
show.  I just checked Google Maps and it looks like there's a
McDonald's there now; how sad.  Zabar's was across Broadway from the
studio and is still there.
	There was another restaurant I used to frequent between 81st and 82nd
that had the greatest salads.  It was called "The Front Porch", I
think.  Finally, there was the "Burger Joint" also across Broadway, at
77th as I recall.  I loved that place.  It was worth the short walk.
	Here's what the building looked like as of 2004, since the studio had
been replaced with a high-rise condo apartment building:
				<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/557875987/>
	And to keep this on topic, here's what the quad tape room looked like
in 1979:
				<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/557632228/>
	and the edit room next door:
				<http://www.flickr.com/photos/dennisdegan/557631348/>
	There are other photos from Reeves/Teletape's 81st Street Studio in
this picture set as well.

	  					NBC Today Show, New York