[QuadList] Helicals, Quads

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Fri Feb 12 08:39:28 CST 2010

Dennis,

Great pix and it's sad to see the old place gone.  We've lost several
old studios here in Nashville due to "progress".  In fact, they are in
the process of tearing down some more right now to build a new
convention center when the old convention center isn't busy all the
time.

I worked for PBS from 73 to 78 and used to travel to NYC every few
months for various meetings.  I always tried to stop by SS and see how
things were going so we may have met.  I actually was on episode 747
walking by the front window of Mr. Hooper's store.  The feather Carrol
Spinney gave me is somewhere in a drawer and I have some nice pix with
him on break with the top off.  I guess it is a lot easier today for his
little wireless TV strapped to his chest with an LCD.

My comment on the chroma was based on what the folks in the field felt
was a deliberate boost of the yellow to enhance Big Bird and the fact
that it got there hot.  Even when I saw it all the way through I never
figured out where it got boosted, as we tried at PBS to faithfully
reproduce what was sent to us.  The FCC inspectors did gig many PBS
stations for over-modulation during the Bird segments.  I think things
improved when we went satellite and the eq boost on the telco lines
wasn't a factor anymore.

When I get my new scanner I'll post some pix of that era.  It is great
reliving memories, but hard when you realize how long ago they were!
Our friends in the UK will know why when I was looking at my picture
with George Best the other day it made me sad.  Some mention was made of
Rich Lunnis from AF days.  He was a good friend and we always kept up
with the trials of Preston North End and Luton Town which were his two
favourite teams.  I heard that he had moved back to the UK and opened a
pub.

Cheers all,

Bill Spencer, KY4O