[QuadList] Early CMX Documentation

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:36:10 CST 2010

I've recently received a great deal of information on the CMX 300 & 400 systems.  Included is a 55 page training manual in 11"x17" format that was developed by NBC Burbank.  I've included a scan below of the introductory page.  I never worked on these systems, but I did have many years of experience with DEC PDP-11's in other applications, so the opportunity to learn more about how two of my favorite technologies came together has been a real treat.  My first experience with the PDP-11 in an editing environment was the Ampex ACE, and that was a decade after the CMX systems were developed.

The comparison of this technology to todays' world of non-linear editing is such a striking contrast that it's probably inconceivable to many people in the industry today.  Perhaps the idea of having an edit system composed of tape machines is not too far removed from most of our memories, but concern for what bits in which register are controlling which machine function disappeared a long time ago.  An editing system with diagnostic routines to monitor specific bits on a data bus just isn't standard fare anymore!

I don't know how rare or how common the existence of these documents may be.  Have any of these systems been preserved?  I'd like to find the most effective way to ensure that this information is not lost.  Perhaps the folks at Woonsocket would be a good repository?  Ideas, suggestions or comments?

Don Norwood
www.digitrakcom.com