[QuadList] Early CMX Documentation

Bob Campbell bobcampbellquad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:31:07 CST 2010

My first job in post production was editing commercial animatics for focus group testing at Optimus in Chicago in 1978 or so.
System included a small color camera we would use to shoot flat art representing the different scenes in the commercial. The art drawn art was amazing sometimes!
We would do pan, zooms etc to 3/4" Sony's for A and B rolls.
This was all controlled by a CMX 50 system that had no TBC's so when we did dissolves we had a 50/50 chance of not having a jump at the match frame.  At some point I thought we had floppy's to save EDL's. That might have been the on-line rooms' CMX 340. Not sure.

I later worked at One Pass in San Francisco at the time of the fire. Very interesting the way things melt!
I was doing telecine at that point, so I don't remember much about the CMX 600.
We had the AVR system to control the telecine and 1" vtr's at that point. Pre Davinci TLC's.
What a huge advantage to be able to make accurate insert edits in to 3/2 pull down masters and lay down film rolls to pre stripped tape with accurate/ repeatable time code.

We did have a 1/2" VHS edit system that controlled a lot (12 I think) of machines for the tape version of random access.
I think this was an early Edit Droid? Watching all those VHS machines trying to cue was interesting.

Bob Campbell
Colorist
SF