[QuadList] Early CMX Documentation

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 14:29:48 CST 2010

The CMX 600 was a unique system.  I saw only one of them, and it was  at
One Pass Video in San Francisco.  The place burned down when a fire  started
on the wharf next to the building.  The 600 was a disc based system  that
used black and white images to build a show and edit list.  Then it  was taken
to an on line room.  The system was so expensive.  It was  out of reach for
almost everyone.

The first CMX that I had experience with was a 340.  It also had the  DEC
PDP as the CPU.  It also had core memory that allowed you not to have  to
boot the system from paper tape every time.  In fact I still have a  paper tape
in the basement.  The amazing thing was that they had to do  everything in
64 K of memory.  The display was a terminal built by Ann  Arbor Terminals
here in Michigan.  We had the high speed tape reader and  the LA-36 printer on
each system.  The system was OK but there were always  bugs in it.  Many we
did not see in every day use but they would drive us  crazy at times.

Some of the design considerations for video and audio were not that  great.
 The 2 x 1 preview switcher did not have any headroom and sounded
terrible.  it was designed with the audio levels of off line machines in  mind.  The
interfaces were not always for the correct model.  The  AVR-2 interface was
based upon an early machine.  Thus modifications and  updates were not
taken into account.

Stupid operational things.  Like if the machine was playing and you  threw
the switch on the I squared, it would stop the machine.  Hit the  wrong I
squared and oops tape on air stops.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN