[QuadList] AMPEX EDM-1

W4wj at aol.com W4wj at aol.com
Sat Jan 30 15:31:32 CST 2010

After doing lots of "manual" assemble and insert edits on  various
VR-1200's, VR2000's VR2000B's AVR-1's and AVR-2's the  AVR-3's
arrived with their companion EDM-1 computerized editing  system.

Easy to operate...  EDL saved on 7" floppies,  ;-)  ... Easy one-button
edit preview and/or record.  Selectable  auto-assemble from any portion
of the EDL.  Switcher moves that  were not supported in software could
be recorded as part of the EDL for later "playback."   Audio mixing also
supported.

Not in the 2" genre, but we took delivery of the first AMPEX  ACE
Touchscreen editing system which  interfaced with a 2M/E AMPEX
(Duca-Richardson) switcher.  The  TOUCHSCREEN was user configurable
from a very basic 2-machine CUT display,  to multi-machine rolls with
AUTO-TAG etc.  The ACE talked to 4  AMPEX VPR2-Bs.

We also had a modified AMPEX HS-100B disc recorder which did  edits!

At one of the NAB shows in Vegas, I ran an ACE editing  suite
with VPR3s, an MM1200, an ADO an a 3 M/E AMPEX  switcher.

VPR3, one amazing machine...

Following the incredible  ACR-25 and AVR-1...!!!

73,

Don, W4WJ
Fredericksburg, Texas

Retired from 40 years in Miami Television
35+ years at WTVJ NBC O&O