[QuadList] Quad Vs Type C

Scott Thomas scottgfx at mac.com
Sat Jan 30 18:26:19 CST 2010

I have a question regarding the longevity of Quad tapes verses Type C.

When I see transfers of Quad material, it looks tack-sharp like it's first generation. When I see TV programs that I know were produced in the Type-C era, they tend to look softer.

One example, I saw Golden Girls on cable this past week. It looked a bit soft to me.

One theory I have are that perhaps there is more print-through on the Type C material, the tapes are degaussing themselves? Quad's wider guard bands and thicker tape base perhaps prevent this more?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Scott Thomas