[QuadList] Toluene

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Fri Jan 15 18:18:34 CST 2010

Toluene, of course, was the active ingredient in model airplane glue
(at least for polystyrene) which became a frequently abused
substance.  Lately, however it appears that cyanoacrylate is the
weapon of choice for the purpose of kitbuilding.  I also remember
throughout the late 70s and early 80's going through small kegs of
CFC, soaking KimWipes and buffing down the headwheels.  "Totally
inert" we were told.  I thought I was being ironic when I voiced the
opinion (thoroughly scoffed at) that the stuff would eventually come
back and kill us.

Interesting aside (or maybe not) is that as a side-effect of the
Formula One "Spygate scandal" involving Ferrarri and MacLaren, one
tidbit that came to light was that Ferrari was NOT using nitrogen as
a pressurant gas in their tyres (like most other teams).  They were
using a refrigerant similar to the non-chlorinated fluorocarbons used
in air conditioners.  It is extremely stable, and also helped to keep
the treads from over-heating.  Personally, I like a mixture of gases
-- mostly nitrogen, a bit of oxygen, some carbon dioxide, a few rare
gases... its also breathable.

Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue