[QuadList] Toluene

Tim Vitale tjvitale at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 22 18:51:49 CST 2010

Methylene chloride and benzene are considered carcinogens.  Toluene
has one methyl group and xylene has two methyl groups on a benzine
ring <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylene>.  They are close to being
carcinogens, but not labeled as such.  Xylene is slightly less active
as a solvent, but slightly more dangerous to humans, than toluene.  In
their respective MSDS they have low TWA time weighted average,
allowable OSHA exposure, during an 8-hr work day:

Toluene TWA 200 ppm
Xylene TWA 100 ppm

I think this makes xylene worse than toluene.

When were the Ampex recommendation made?  Likely in the 1960s or ,
early 1970s.  Through the mid-1980s these many dangerous solvents were
given a pass, but then it all hit the wall in the mid-1980s.  I don't
know the history of MSDS but they became required starting 1975-82
era.  I Google the MSDS for the chemical and look at the toxicity
section.

Methylene Chloride MSDS
<http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/M4420.htm>
Benzene MSDS <http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Benzene-9927339>, sorry
its not the same format, no one with good info had all four.
Xylene MSDS <http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/x2000.htm>
Toluene MSDS <http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3913.htm>
Definition of MSDS terms <http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/tlv.html> &
<http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/pel.html>.

I wouldn't use any alcohol, but anhydrous ethanol is best, unless its
been in the open air for awhile.  With many materials, ethanol and
methanol swell about 60% (EtOH) to 40% (MeOH) of water; often quite
dangerous.

Methylene chloride is a wonderful solvent, as is DMF dimethylfomamide,
but they are very dangerous to use.  BTW, cross-linked polymers will
swell in the Methylene chloride and DMF, but they won't dissolve.
Rubber is a crosslinked polymer.

Tim Vitale
Paper, Photographs &
Electronic Media Conservator
Digital Imaging & Facsimiles
Film [Still] Migration to Digital Format
Digital Imaging & Facsimiles
Preservation Associates
1500 Park Avenue
Suite 123