[QuadList] Capstan Size Modification

Don Norwood dwnorwood at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 25 21:29:43 CST 2010

I'll have to admit that I never considered this subject before reading this thread.  The Intersync manual refers to a NOMINAL tape speed of 15 ips which would be appropriate, and I have to say that I've never seen an Intersync that didn't have more than enough range to cover this amount of variance.

But in thinking this through, it doesn't seem like a good idea.  Recording on a "normal" machine, the capstan is locked to the drum which is also running slower than it would on a monochrome system.  However, this relationship maintains the video track spacing and angular specifications.  If you mechanically modify the capstan so that it runs faster, doesn't that distort the track specifications?  Granted, it would be a very small amount, but why would you want to do that?  Or maybe I'm missing something.....

Don