[QuadList] Capstan Size Modification

Chill315 at aol.com Chill315 at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 07:35:09 CST 2010

Don

I agree with you.  The modification to the capstan system will distort  the
SMPTE RP for track spacing.  I just see too many cans of worms.   As you
point out, there is no real difference between speed.  It is locked  to the
head so that the speed has the correct relationship.

As a side note, I once had a feed from a source that the 3.58 was off a
mile.  It was a small facility and they could not understand what the  problem
was.  The tape machines handled it with ease.  It was only  because the
scopes were moving so fast in external that I noticed it.  They  were off over
200 hertz.  Yet the servo windows and correction systems were  able to
correct it.  We ran the feed through a frame sync first until  they fixed it and
the framestore had a harder time.

I would bet that the modification to the pulley was for something else that
 was an issue such as eating belts.  Most of the machines were VR-2000 so
they may have had an earlier design in the capstan assembly.  According to
the parts list for the end of the run, the capstan was a -30 version.  Also
the flywheel was a -10 version.  So there were probably modifications to
the capstan as the production was done.

Note my VR-1200 books are from 1973.  Near the end of the run.   The Inter
sync book talks about having to replace capstans on earlier  machines.  I do
not know the why this was required.

Chris Hill
WA8IGN