[QuadList] Laugh-In (was "Assemble edits vs Insert edits")

Thomas, Stephen D sdthomas at cbs.com
Thu Jan 28 12:36:08 CST 2010

David,

Thank you for explaining the process you went through with the shows at NBC Burbank, where I was born (coincidentally) in December 1956.  I'm sure it was of interest to many on the list, including myself.

Did you happen to work on "Rowen and Martin's Laugh-In?"  Wikipedia describes the edit process like this:  "The show was pre-recorded at NBC<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC>'s Burbank<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbank,_CA> Facility. Since timecode-controlled videotape editing had not been invented at the time, montage was achieved by the error-prone method of physical splicing<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_video_editing> of the two-inch quadraplex<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraplex> tape. This had the incidental benefit of ensuring that the master tape would be preserved, since a spliced tape could not be recycled for further use. Laugh-In Editor Arthur Schneider<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schneider> won an Emmy Award<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmy_Award> in 1968 for his pioneering use of the "jump cut" -- the unique editing style in which a sudden cut from one shot to another was made without a fade-out."

I have read elsewhere that the show was kinescoped and the film was edited into a rough-cut that was later used to edit the videotape.  Could you elaborate further on this complex process?

Steve Thomas

SENIOR EDITOR and TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
phone:  248.351.7905
e-mail:  sdthomas at cbs.com<mailto:sdthomas at cbs.com>

"This user thinks that there are too many people who don't know that they're worse than their own children at spelling!"