[QuadList] Laugh-In (was "Assemble edits vs Insert edits")

bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv
Thu Jan 28 12:59:34 CST 2010

I can confirm that is how it was done as I observed the process while
attending RCA school at Burbank.  NBC also came up with the 15Hz control
track pulse so the edits would always be on the same frame sequence for
color framing.

I made a lot of black tapes myself.  We started using the term "striped"
sometime in the late 70s.  We tried the Recortec unit that would stripe
the code while it was being evaluated, but it seemed inconsistent.
Things worked better when done real time on a VTR.  The code speed was
more consistent and the CT was in the right place.

There was a comment during the capstan speed thread that once they
recorded two tapes and one was a few seconds longer than the other.  We
ran into that apparent problem during the mono to color transition and
it was the diameter of the counter roller that caused the apparent
error.  They were calibrated for 30fps and 29.97fps caused a 3.6 second
error per hour.  We just learned to adjust the time given to traffic so
the show wouldn't get cut off at the end.  Later, they came out with
electronic counter retrofits that were calibrated for 'color time' and
the problem went away until automation where a few frames will mess
things up!  Enter drop frame timecode and all is well! HI, HI (The Hams
know what that means!)

73,

Bill Spencer

RF Engineering Supervisor

NorthStar Studios, Inc.

3201 Dickerson Pike

Nashville, TN 37207

Phone 615.650.6000 ext. 6610

Cell 615.445.5616

Fax 615.650.6027

email bill.spencer at northstarstudios.tv

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE/HIPAA PRIVACY RULE: This message may contain
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to act on behalf of the intended recipient) of this message,
please do not disclose, forward, distribute, copy, or use this message
or its contents. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original
message from your e-mail system. Thank you.