[QuadList] Changes in Post over the years (was Electronic Editing Notes)

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jan 29 09:35:13 CST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:46 AM, Chill315 at aol.com wrote:

> Ted
>
> That is why there has been such a shake up in the industry.  For the
> price of a luxury car, one can set up shop in an office with nice
> furnishings and a good editing system that does more that we ever
> imagined.  And Still have funds left over to keep it going for a few
> months.  Now there are way too many of these shops and undercutting
> the really decent shops.  Here in Detroit, a number of the old
> school facilities have gone the way of the dinosaurs.  It is a shame
> but Darwin has taken charge.
>
> The other sad part is that there are so many mediocre places that
> call themselves editors but barely can put a story together.  They
> charge so little that it undermines the good places.
>
> Chris Hill
> WA8IGN

The situation with video post is in many ways a repeat of the "Desktop
publishing" situation when "Everyone" thought they could be a designer.

Which is exactly why I slowly ramped down my production and post
business over the last couple of years and took up marketing MWA
Nova's unique telecine, film to HD-SDI, sound for film and SD/HD to
film output products.  On tour across America right now.

Many customers, especially in small markets without much media
savviness simply shop for price. They don't understand the value a
good editor brings to their project, or—as I found out far too often—
don't take your advice, when offered in an educational way.  Or you
had to spend way too much time for far too little return, either
financial or satisfactional.

The ad-agency business is going through a change in how clients regard
and purchase their services... with much more of a price focus, rather
than other metrics.