[QuadList] Magnetic paychecks was: Another disaster

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Sat Jan 30 01:29:51 CST 2010

Well the  computer for this is what brought GE to phoenix..it became 2
divisions  one for information systems and one for process control system
Honeywell, who already had a computer system  div also bought    GE Computer and
then BULL bought the Honeywell computer div.

the year is  1957   you like to think of 2 in as  large?  well the
Honeywell 1000 datamatic used  3 inch 31 track heads  on a hub that reminded you of
a volkswagon tire hub..  got the tape, got a  head... got some other parts
of this vacuum tube computer...  it even  used  some LOCTAL base  tubes!

Magnetic Tape
No. of units that can be  connected    100 Units
No. of chars/linear  inch 600 dec,     400 alpha char/in
Channels or tracks on the tape          31 Channels
Tape  speed                             100 Inches/sec
Transfer rate      60,000 dec, 40,000 alpha char/sec

BRL 1961, DATAMATIC  1000, start page 0217

Physical properties of  tape
Width
3 Inches
Length of  reel        2,700  Feet
Composition         Plastic  sandwich

 In a message dated 1/29/2010 4:36:16 P.M. US  Mountain Standard Time,