[QuadList] NBC Broadcasting Pioneer Jack Weir Dies at 88--SportsVideoGroup magazine

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Fri Jun 4 18:13:21 CDT 2010

On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:00 PM, David C. Crosthwait wrote:

> Ted,
>
> I'd like to know more about that satellite feed from Selma. Ya never
> know who will turn up with info. I think the only Early Bird uplink
> was Bangor, Maine at that time (?).

I'd think whatever the nets fed from Selma was land-line as you'd
posited earlier.

> Ted says: "A round of budget cuts closed the NBC News/KNBC-TV
> Sacramento bureau, where I'd been a Group 3 daily hire. I had the
> dubious distinction of loading up the van with all the gear (TK-76,
> BVU-100, etc.) turning out the light, closing the door on that minor
> chapter of NBC and taking the van to Correspondent Doug Kriegel's
> house for him to drive to Burbank. So much for that."
>
> Doug Kriegel (recently retried)

On what charge!  Too much Bouillabaisse?

> was once of the funnest guys to work with. He loved coming into edit
> 50 and having us fly dollar bill graphics around to enhance his
> money segments on the evening news show. A great laugh and a great
> story teller. He had a knack for eating at every restaurant in LA at
> least once. This was the time when KNBC was giving KABC a run for
> it's money in the local news race, frequently beating them. It was a
> fun time. Then, GE came in/took over and the fun ended.
>
> David

He's now working weekends at KEYT, Santa Barbara.
http://www.keyt.com/news/local/94672074.html

I first met Doug when he was the Sacramento (then CBS affiliate) KXTV,
10 State Capitol correspondent.

I was freelancing at the Capitol, selling film in LA mostly to KHJ-TV
and occasionally KCOP.  Also to San Diego and San Francisco stations.

Also worked with him at KXTV, which still had a couple of Quads
working... but had just dumped film in 1977 and was using (cringe)
Sony DXC-1600 one-tube Trinicon cameras and VO-3800 decks for ENG.
Kriegel was a great writer... and not a lot of people know he had a
Masters in Economics from Univ. of Stockholm and was fluent in
Swedish.  IIRC he was in the stock business before getting into
television news.

Wonder if he's the Doug Kriegel who filed to run in the Demo. primary
for the State Board of Equalization, Dist. 4.?