[QuadList] OT: And now-- your palm-sized, color, HD, Quad editing suite replacement

Ted Langdell ted at quadvideotapegroup.com
Mon Jun 7 18:51:06 CDT 2010

I don't mean for this thread to divert us away from the main focus of
the list... Quad video recorders, preserving them, tape and the
knowledge of how to use them, so let's keep discussion to a 24-hour
period and hope we don't cause folks to unsubscribe.

Considering the changes in size and capability represented here
compared to 1956's three-racks of black and white... this seems a
significant milestone in television history.  Why do I say that?  Keep
reading.

Just in from StudioDaily...
http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=3375

Speaking today at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2010,
Apple CEO Steve Jobs blew the roof off the joint by showing the new
iPhone 4. Not only did he claim that the phone’s new camera will shoot
720p/30 video, but he debuted the new $4.99iMovie app for iPhone,
allowing users to trim clips, apply transitions, and create titles
without leaving their mobile environment. What’s more, the new phone
will have a very high resolution 960×640 pixel display that should
make working with its touch screen a real pleasure, and its front-
facing video camera and “FaceTime” wi-fi video-chat capabilities will
make remote collaboration a whole new game.
Editing on the iPhone isn’t going to make dedicated NLE workstations
obsolete, of course, but it’s another step toward mobilizing — and
miniaturizing — the creation of content. While the quality of HD video
shot on your phone will be dubious, there may be some situations where
pros get a kick out of using their iPhone to shoot and string together
some video clips. But having this kind of functionality on a palm-
sized device carries clear implications for the entire PC hardware
market.

I can see television news departments equipping their reporters (and
other staff) with iPhone4's and iMovie... and letting people literally
"phone it in."

Instead of "Get that camera/microphone outta my face!" we'll hear and
see "Get that iPhone outta my face!"

Will Garret Brown invent an iSteady?  I can see someone fitting a zoom
lens or telephoto lens accessory over the existing lens.

The more nagging technical question is whether the 720p/30 is actually
720p/30, or is 720p/29.97.

One thing the new phone does is allow more than one app at a time... a
complaint about iPhones' OS that some of the competing phones had
overcome.