[QuadList] OT: And now-- your palm-sized, color, HD, Quad editing suite replacement

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 20:19:12 CDT 2010

TED,
please check with Tiffen, the folks that market the Steadcam.

There is a product, called Steadcam Smoothee, which was shown at the CES in January, it's a device to do just what you want, make better video with a phone sized device.

Steadicam Smoothee - Tiffen.Com

Here is the link, and as I understand this was created as a "bootlegged" product by Frank Rush, an ex-Ampex manager (and olde friend), who now runs this Tiffen operation.

Now, ....if we in this group know anyone, who wants to (and knows how to) write a couple of Apps, for the IPhone, we could make one that would add "gate scratches", "hair's", and other random artifacts, that people relate to "old film look".

I have a possible name for this App which could relate well also, maybe call it S....yFilm.

The next one could add the "camcorder" viewfinder view, with the "red" record indicator and maybe some useless "framing lines", to the video output so it would be ready to use and give a source relationship.

Maybe another one could include a special "bug" or icon, to provide a reference as to where this fine video product came from! (note: this would be great for the folks that have to tell you that they are answering your E-mail from their Cell Phone)

And finally, now that you have the best, steady, video from a great phone, how about a APP, which would take it back to a poor "handheld" look, which some of the folks that are relatively new to the business, think is part of the "real time look", this could be call "ShakyVideo".

I ran these by Frank Rush in January, a day after I heard about the "Smoothie" and I did not get an answer? Oh, well I guess this is no longer a serious business?

Bill Carpenter