[QuadList] OT: And now-- your palm-sized, color, HD, Quad editing suite replacement

Bill Carpenter wcarpen107 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 23:03:24 CDT 2010

OK, Ted, let's rewind to NAB 76, when all the quad format problems were finally solved, when we (Ampex) introduced the SHB/P format which as my 34+ year memory recalls, stood for Super High Band with Pilot.

On the AVR-3, brochure we got the phrase "Virtually Eliminates Banding" by the legal dept about a week before NAB, and the printing deadline.
It was a great system, but we also introduced the helical w/ AST, so most quad folks never even saw the better demo's.
I can remember a special demo which was done with the AVR-2 SHB/P kit, for the all the Engineering folks at Turner Broadcasting, in Atlanta, where when it was done, everyone knew they had just saw the best Quad pictures they had ever seen, with no tweaking!
About that time, I got buried in a major retrofit program. to fix everything else on the AVR-3 that did not work right and by the time that was done, the helical world was very much the handwriting on the wall for Quad.
Great memories,
Bill Carpenter